Saturday, February 6, 2010

St Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Monday we disembarked in St Thomas.  We had the morning free and spent time walking around downtown browsing and haggling with the local vendors on knock-off sunglasses and purses.  Well Darren did the haggling for me, he's much better at it than me!


We took a sail boat ride with Fury sailing out to go snorkeling at Buck Island.  The waters were insanely choppy and I was very thankful we sat at the back of the boat because we would have been soaked if we were at the front!

 
 

Buck Island is known to be a sea turtle feeding area.  It did not disappoint.  You'd watch them on the ground munching on grass and then every so often they'd come up for air right near you.


One of the trip guides dove down and got this "thing" off the ocean floor.  I thought he said it was a spider crab but I'm not sure based on my Google search if that was right.  It moved like a combination of an octopus and a crab.  It was very strange and I was pretty proud of myself for holding it!


This isn't the best picture but its of us while we were snorkeling.  It was a fun afternoon!

No comments: